Sunday, September 30, 2012

Middies R Us

For a while now I have been curious about the new Blythe in town: Middies. Middies are sort of like Blythe's little sister. Takara has been producing them for just over a year and so far 6 different styles have come out. They have yet to really gain popularity due, in part I believe, to the relatively high price tag...almost as much as a full sized Blythe without the neat eye-changing feature. When I first saw one I didn't like her at all. I was sure I would never spend good Blythe money on (to my mind) an inferior doll that was severely lacking in charm. 

And then it happened. I kept seeing them on the various forums and people's websites and my curiousity kept growing. And growing. Until finally I couldn't stand it any more. I carefully looked at the different ones produced and decided which was my favorite..Milk and Honey. Then I checked all over for prices. And promptly died a little bit inside. Of course the one I liked the best was hard to find and priced accordingly. No matter how great my curiousity, I couldn't justify paying over $200 for a doll that I wasn't even sure I would like. So, back to the drawing board, I checked out my 2nd and 3rd choices..unfortunately also priced beyond my comfort zone. I almost gave up at this point of ever owning a middie.

Then I had a brilliant idea. I posted on various forums asking if anyone would consider rehoming an unloved girl for some $$ and a partial trade of goods from my Etsy store. And...success! Not only did I get one for a good price (fantastic, actually) but the owner is local to me so I picked her up yesterday! Presenting the newest dolly in the house, Katie:


Yes...not only is she my #1 pick, she also came complete with all her stock and her box! She had only been taking out for display and that's it. To give you an idea of scale, here she is posed next to Pepper:


Awe..isn't she the cutest?!? I can't wait to start making clothes for her! Here's a closeup of her face:


I have to say that I am most definitely converted now, lol. I will be keeping my eye out for more middies. The girls, of course, are completely nuts for her and are plotting saving up their Xmas and birthday money for middies of their own, ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment