Monday, July 2, 2012

Ugly Socks

I knit a lot of socks out of a wide variety of sock yarn brands. Every once in a while I am surprised at how the patterning on the sock looks compared to the original ball of yarn. Most of the time this is a pleasant surprise..like with Lorna's Laces for example. When this happens I am pleased and the project takes on a new, happy dimension. Sometimes, though, this happens:


The yarn looked pretty enough in the ball..cheery shades of pink, red, and a blast of lime green. But somehow it just doesn't work in real life. In fact it sucks, big time. So why did I finish them when the mantra of knitters everywhere seems to be "life's too short to knit something you hate"? Well, to be honest, I have pretty severe depression at times and it has been really kicking my butt this year. My knitting mojo is pretty much extinct and finished projects are few and far between. So I'll take what I can get and be happy for it. Better luck next time.

Fortunately for me I found a partially completed sock in my drawer and finished off the first one of the pair:


It is the fabled Wollmeise in a very bright orange/red combo for K. I don't even know why it was in time-out but its free now and hopefully its partner will make an appearance before too long.

Finishing up some socks has inspired me to make some more dolly goodies for my etsy shop too. Not much..just a couple of pixie bonnets..but, again, I'll take my victories where I can get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment