Friday, February 12, 2010

Pretty, Pretty Progress

The Noro vest is growing at a satisfactory pace. I am almost finished the back piece then on to the front! I am so in love with the richness of the colours and the wooly texture. A lot of people have bad words to say about Noro yarns...the spin is inconsistent, there are knots that break up the colour sequence, there are bits of shrubbery in it, it is scratchy, etc. But for me, personally, none of that matters. I absolutely adore the finished texture of Kureyon and Kureyon sock. It is wooly and earthy and almost felty feeling. And the colours! Many have tried, but no other yarns seem to achieve the rich depth of colour that Noro has. It is almost like a pool of oil paints on a palette..so deep and saturated. Sure, there are many colourways that look garish to me but when I find one that I like I knit like mad just to see what will come up next. Also, a lot of the time what comes out is almost a surprise..shades I didn't see initially lurking in the ball, waiting to be discovered. Even colours that don't seem to go together at all just work some how in the finished project. I find that Noro yarns work really well with more basic designs too. Just let the yarn do the work so that you can sit back and enjoy the knitting process.

I am loving this project so much that I can't wait to get back to it whenever I'm doing something else. I swear its almost like I hear music when I'm working on it! I think it is important to use hard-won free time to work on things that make you happy. Too often I get caught up in making things for practical, utilitarian purposes and don't really enjoy the process. In those cases, it seems like I am forcing myself to just finish the project and I often wonder why I even started knitting in the first place. 

In the home front not much has been happening in the last couple of days. I caught an annoying cold and have been kind of babying it. We are pecking away at the unpacking, cleaning, and repair jobs. We are hoping to start painting the girls' rooms this weekend so that they can be fully moved into their spaces. Our appliances all got delivered and look great. We just have to get the rest of the house up to speed!

Well, thats it for now. Hope everyone has a great weekend and Valentines Day. Make sure that you take time to do something you love (hopefully with someone you love)!

No comments:

Post a Comment