Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chunky Knit Blahs

Flush with success over my butterfly cardigan, I immediately cast on for Cosima by Berroco using a bag of Gedifra Living that I had in my stash. This is a really quick knit, being chunky yarn, but I'm not enjoying it. Its simple enough even with the mods I'm doing but I'm just not feeling it. After thinking about it for a while I determined that the problem is not the yarn or the pattern. Its that I just don't like chunky knits. In my mind they are like the chunky crayons they make for toddlers...quick and fun, but ultimately amateurish and unsophisticated. In the future I think I'm better off sticking to lighter weight yarns. More work, but I really do like the look and feel a lot better. But I will still finish this project up anyways. I like the color and the finished garment looks cute. Plus I really want to use up some of my older stash and this will clear up a whole bag full!

While I've been working on it I've been dreaming of other, more fun projects. Socks out of some of my pretty new yarns or small shawls out of the many, many skeins of beautiful laceweights that I have squirreled away. But I have resisted the urge to cast on anything else. I find that if I have more than one thing going at a time one of the projects invariably ends up in the bin, never to be completed. So its nothing but faithful monogamy for me :(

But that doesn't stop me from wasting my time with other things! One thing we are really big on in this household is jigsaw puzzles. The girls and I love to work on them together, usually 750 to 1000 pieces. We have a whole bunch of games built around our favorite "competitive" sport...ranging from trash talking to covertly hiding a piece so that it can be put in last and the hider can declare themselves the "winner" of the puzzle. Youngest is particularly fond of this one, lol.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that looks amateurish at all! I used to be a chunky-yarn only knitter, but now I'm liking a variety. I like to have pretty dainty little knits, with some fast chunky projects so that I actually finish stuff sometimes!

    ReplyDelete